beanie and the jets

7/06/2014

DIY - Homemade Orange Blossom Sugar Lip Scrub


I've been meaning to make this lip scrub for ages. If you love Lush's version of this then you're already on to a winner! It's perfect! I've come to the decision that many lip balms and chap sticks are not particularly ideal for chapped or dry lips as I find they tend to make the dryness worse over time. I swear by this Sugar Scrub as it works like any other exfoliant combating both dryness and roughness. The oil in this recipe is key as it's helps to keep your lips nice and soft adding moisture, leaving them super kissable. I've used Rice Bran Oil but Olive Oil is fine. I'm sure both contain Vitamin E which is ideal for healthy skin. The quantities below are enough to fill two individual conserve jars. The flavouring and colours are entirely up to you. I've gone for Orange Blossom because it has a lovely summery scent and flavour. As for the colouring, I've chosen a Tangerine paste. As a baker I swear by colour pastes as supermarket brands are water-based and may mess up your quantities leaving you with more of a sloppy mixture. I wouldn't rule out using them, just be sure to use the smallest amount.

What you'll need
  • 10 tsps Granulated Sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsps Rice Bran Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Golden Syrup/Honey
  • 1 cap Orange Blossom Water
  • 1 drop Colouring(I used the shade Tangerine)
  • 2 small Jam Jars
  • A little ribbon for decoration
  • Mixing bowl 

 Method

1. Mix together oil and sugar.
2. Add in syrup/honey and mix well until combined.
3. Add flavouring and mix again.
4. Add in a drop of colouring and mix well until the sugar is completely coloured - If using a paste the colour may clump together, just grind against the bowl using the back of your spoon then combine with the rest of the sugar and the contents of the bowl will turn your desired colour.
5. Spoon the mixture into your jam jars, et voila ... Homemade Sugar Lip Scrub.

I like to use my scrub when my lips are feeling and looking hard done by. As you al
l know I'm a Matte lipstick junkie and sometimes they aren't so kind to my lips so I find that by using this scrub maybe once or twice a week I'm giving my lips the attention they need. I particularly like to use before a night out it just gives me that lovely smooth, clean canvas I need before putting any lippy on.


Directions for use

1. Add a good amount of scrub onto dry lips and rub gently.
2. Leave for a minute or so before rinsing with warm water.
3. Add a light balm or primer to keep lips moist. I use my MAC Prep and Prime or Maybelline Baby Lips.
4. Repeat once or twice a week and your lips will feel great. 

Do you guys have any DIY/Homemade favourites?

Love Beanie x x







Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment